Saturday, January 9, 2010

My first lesson in 2010

It has been an exciting and challenging year in 2009 as I left the little red dot, Singapore, for the Silicon Valley to do a 1 year internship and here I am back in Singapore.

I'm so nervous and excited about the class that I'm going to take tomorrow, CS3216: Software Development on Evolving Platforms. This is the very first type of module in NUS which allows students to explore popular open source technology. Rather than teaching theories, this module expose students to the beauty of open apis developed by the brilliant software developers in the world.

So rather talking about the pros of this module, being practical, what is the take away from this module which I hope to gain?
1) A good idea that I hope to spin off into a promising company (seems to be the usual answer).
2) Right now, I'm in the process of starting my own company with some friends and probably with the exploration of the open apis, I'm able to integrate it with my company's product.
3) I'm still building my resume and it would definitely be good to add into my skillsets rather than just Java and Java (I've no offense for Java but I've been learning Java since the good old poly days). Finally!!!

I'm kind of a fan for open source technology as it makes things easier and convenient. I respect the developers skills and effort spent to develop such technology for the rest of us :D. I've been wondering why local university doesn't offer modules for them? The closest I could find is an Open Source Management Course by SIM. It got me all hyped up when I first learnt about this module offered in NUS.

Here I come Facebook app (license to use Facebook while working) and Google Wave (seems to be the next wave of hype).

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jianhong,

    Reuben here, your fellow CS3216 coursemate.

    Care to share what kind of company you're starting with your friends? What kind of stuff are you guys building?

    reuben

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sorry for the long reply. we are doing a food review app for mobile. :D still looking for funding.

    ReplyDelete